October 26, 2017
The Governor recently signed Assembly Bill 500 which adds section 44050 to the Education Code (effective 1/1/18). EdCode section 44050 will require school districts to notify parents of any provision in their code of conduct regarding employee interactions with pupils, referred to as the Annual Notice of Fraternization Policies. Rescue Union School District (RUSD) maintains a Professional Standards board policy (4319.21) which lists several standards for employee conduct:
- Engaging in any conduct that endangers students, staff, or others, including, but not limited to, physical violence, threats of violence, or possession of a firearm or other weapon
- Engaging in harassing or discriminatory behavior towards students, parents/guardians, staff, or community members, or failing or refusing to intervene when an act of discrimination, harassment, intimidation, or bullying against a student is observed
- Physically abusing, sexually abusing, neglecting, or otherwise willfully harming or injuring a child
- Engaging in inappropriate socialization or fraternization with a student or soliciting, encouraging, or maintaining an inappropriate written, verbal, or physical relationship with a student
- Using profane, obscene, or abusive language against students, parents/guardians, staff, or community members
If you have any questions, please contact your principal or the district office.