Online coursework is delivered via a software package called a learning management system (LMS). An LMS allows instructors to manage distribution of materials, create content and assignments, and administer communications and other aspects of instruction for their courses. Features include:
- Authoring tools that make it easy for the instructor to individualize the content and differentiate the curriculum.
- Course structure that divides content into lessons and units.
- Tools that allow for synchronous (i.e., real-time) and asynchronous communication between the student and teacher.
- The ability to track the student's course activity
- Assessment tools and automatic grading capability