The mission of the Rescue C.O.O.L. School is to provide an innovative, rigorous digital learning environment that prepares students for the 21st century and beyond. COOL School students benefit from the flexibility that online learning provides including opportunities for acceleration, practice, enrichment and access to learning 24 hours a day from anywhere in the world.
Specific information is explained below. You may access this information by clicking on the links immediately below:
- Are in grades 3-8
- Wish to learn in a manner that is individualized to their own learning style and pace
- Are self-disciplined and committed
- Are independent workers
- Who love challenging, engaging curriculum
- Are comfortable with technology
- Are in home school, charter school or private school
- Are performers or elite athletes
- Would benefit from non-traditional coursework
- Are will to work closely with instructors and parents to complete assignments
- Reside in El Dorado, Sacramento, Placer, Amador and Alpine counties
Online coursework is delivered via a software package called a learning management system (LMS). A LMS allows instructors to manage distribution of materials, create content and assignments, and administer communications and other aspects of instruction for their courses. Features include:
- Authoring tools that make it ease for the instructor to individualize the content and differentiate the curriculum.
- Course structure that divides content into lessons and units.
- Tools that allow for synchronous (ie., real-time) and asynchronous communication between the student and teacher.
- The ability to track the student's course activity.
- Assessment tools and automatic grading capability.
Benefits to students include:
- Personalized and individualized learning plans.
- Provides opportunities for students to develop 21st century skills.
- Keeps students engaged in and exciting about learning.
- Provides alternative learning opportunities including choices
- Online, virtual learning
- Some face-to-face instruction
- Traditional independent study using District adopted curriculum
- Flexible, differentiated experience.
- Fosters cooperation and interaction among diverse and geographically dispersed students.
- Provides for socialization and collaboration opportunities through:
- Hands-on, interactive activities in class
- Library programs
- Visual and performing arts
- Provides flexible schedules for students
- More engagement, time on task and more productivity
- Receives one on one support from instructor
- Learning management system guides student through the curriculum using formative assessment:
- Students move faster when they demonstrate mastery of concepts
- Students may move slower when more practice is needed
- Access to District services